4. Respects the parent’s rules.
Yes grandparents have some leeway. But recognize that there are rules that your kiddos want their kiddos to maintain and it is your duty to support them. It gets complicated sometimes but you are not in charge, they are. Hopefully your good parenting was handed down to these new parents.
Here is the entire list:
A good grandparent
- Is first a good parent.
- Is part of the family system.
- Is a refuge for the kids and parents.
- Respects the parent’s rules.
- Is wise.
- Is not afraid to be playful.
- Takes the time to listen
- Doesn’t give advice unless it is sought
- Asks questions
- Has a piece of candy in their purse or pocket