8. Asks questions.
You are three generations apart from your grandchildren. They have a different world view and a new understanding. Watch, listen and ask questions. A good example of this is the new media they have been born into. We are digital immigrants, kids growing up now are digital natives. Gain a clear understanding of your grandchildren by asking questions. Maybe they will help you program your TV remote.
Here is the entire list:
A good grandparent
- Is first a good parent.
- Is part of the family system.
- Is a refuge for the kids and parents.
- Respects the parent’s rules.
- Is wise.
- Is not afraid to be playful.
- Takes the time to listen
- Doesn’t give advice unless it is sought
- Asks questions
- Has a piece of candy in their purse or pocket